What is the distance in distance education?
- Non-distant education requires teacher and learner to be in the same place: location-dependent, synchronous dialogue and dialectic
- The lecture and its changing form: location-dependent, synchronous speech
- Asynchronous location-independent telepresence via video recording attempts to preserve lecture
- Synchronous location-independent telepresence via video hookup attempts to preserve lecture and (sometimes) discussion.
- Manuscripts offer asynchronous slightly location-independent transmission
- Printed books offer asynchronous location-independent transmission of information to a virtual audience.
- Digital text creates
- larger virtual audience
- dynamic, open-ended text
- cybertext (text custom generated)
Last updated: October 2000